Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The "Rolling Hills" of Boston

I’ve never been a great hill runner. In high school, my track team awarded me the graduation superlative “Best Hill Runner” in jest because maintaining my pace through course inclines was my biggest weakness as a runner. I don’t think I’ll ever master the art of hill running, but I’ve certainly improved with experience. These days, I don’t bother trying too hard to maintain – it depletes too much of my energy and is usually fruitless anyway. I’m in awe of those runners that blaze past me running uphill! I just keep my legs moving as best I can and then increase my effort on downhills and flat stretches to make up any time lost on the uphills.

This past Sunday, I ran the Boston 13.1 Marathon, part of a half marathon race series being launched around the country. My friend Sue joined me for the event. It was her very first half marathon road race ever and I am so proud of her for pushing through the extremely tough, hilly course to cross the finish line with a smile on her face!


Sue showing off her well-deserved medal, right.


And this course wasn’t just hilly – it was HILLY to the extreme. There were two hills on the course that ascended for the full length of a mile (damn those rough miles 5 and 11!). Don’t believe me? Check out this elevation map of the course! I would nickname the event The Quad-Buster Half Marathon because, man, my quads are SORE! But Sue and I, as well as nearly 2,700 other runners, persevered and completed the course, many in support of charity teams like Chron’s & Colitis Foundation’s Team Challenge, the main charity affiliated with the 13.1 series (of course, I was there supporting both Girls on the Run and Hospitals for Humanity).

Sue, of course, earned herself a well-deserved Personal Best. While I didn’t run a PB, I did come relatively close. Given the tough nature of the course, I know I’m ready to blast out a PB at my next half marathon – the Madison Mini Marathon on August 21 in Madison, Wisconsin. Come out and catch me there if you can!

But if you’d like to join a shorter run before then, I’ll be running the Red Dress Run for Women in Hartford, Connecticut on July 10, the Party With Purpose in Hoboken, New Jersey on July 13, and the GOTR Poconos' Wurst 5K Trail Run on July 18 at Shawnee Mountain, Pennsylvania. All are 5Ks and perfectly suited for newbie runners. Also, fittingly for followers and supporters of The Race Within US, all are organized in support of local charities so you can cross the finish line feeling healthy and knowing that you have helped to support a good cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment