Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Steam Bath

Kristine's blog does a great job of describing the Madison Marathon and the difficult conditions. I ran in the infamous '07 Chicago Marathon that was cancelled due to extreme heat and the conditions in Madison were just as bad. To the organizer's credit, there were plenty of aid stations that were well stocked. Our race plan was simple: run slow and stay hydrated. Eventually we made it to the finish line and the fried cheese kurds and bloody mary's. They're like ambrosia after a race!

I do want to give a big congratulations to Kristine for finishing. She may be petite in size, but that is one seriously determined and strong-willed woman, and a damn good runner. Great job, KM! Next time, tho, please try not to swerve into me so much with your sweaty arms.

Anyways, unlike Kristine, this wasn't my first of the 50 marathons I'm running for RUS. My official "Wisconsin" race will the Ironman triathlon in Madison in 2011. I had a bad crash on my bike during the Madison Ironman last summer and didn't finish. Like General MacArthur said, "I shall return!" Or maybe I'm more Arnold Schwarzenegger-like in Terminator "I'll be back!" Point is, I've got unfinished business in Madison.

Still working up a race schedule for the rest of this year. I know for sure I'm running in the NYC marathon in November with Miri. That will be a great time. If everything goes as planned, I will be shooting to qualify for the Boston Marathon at NYC. Need to run a 3:30 (8 min pace). Used to be able to do that with no problem but I'm not as fast as I used to be.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. I would kill for a 3:30 (I'm aiming for 3:59:59)... Can I lash myself to you so I could have a shot at keeping up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my goal too, Miri. Maybe we'll hit it together if we can ever arrange to run the same race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be doing the mid-west and central states together so let's try to run them at the same pace!

    ReplyDelete