Saturday, June 12, 2010

Went the Distance / Now I’m Back on My Feet

I almost psyched myself out on yesterday’s run. Kristine and Mark have both mentioned in past posts how personal stress can affect their running. For me, running has always been my stress relief. I usually fun farther and faster when I have more stresses to unwind from. Yesterday was no different. The past few weeks have included some amazing high points but also some really tough and stressful moments that I’ve had trouble handling.

When I started running yesterday, it felt much harder than usual to build into my pace. All the emotion and adrenaline that had built up this week seemed to have turned into an obstacle course wall. I was tempted to give up for the day but a few things pushed me through that rough start. I thought about a Fitness magazine sidebar I read recently that suggested run mantras to keep you going when you need it most. My favorite was a reminder that you have to earn it, whether “it” is a downhill after pushing through a steep uphill or the feeling of crossing the finish line after a great race. Like they say, “pain is temporary; pride is forever.”

There’s also a New Balance ad that came to mind (full disclosure: New Balance is a national sponsor of GOTR, providing financial support to the organization, as well as 5,000 pairs of sneakers for GOTR girls who cannot afford proper running shoes). The ad has been in many running- and sports-related magazines recently and it says, “You can’t run from your problems. But you’ll both feel a little lighter when you get back.” I love that. It’s exactly how I feel about pounding the pavement – I pound away my stress or anger or sadness or whatever other emotion is starting to get the best of me, and I stay fit at the same time.

Finally, I remembered that I had just spent 12 weeks teaching my GOTR girls that if they visualize their goals – keep them fresh in their heads and hearts – they will be more likely to achieve those goals and overcome any self-doubt. Remembering that made me feel like my GOTR friends were there cheering me on. And the farther my legs carried me, the faster the stresses melted away. By the time I finished my ten mile loop around Queens’ Flushing Meadows Corona Park, I felt relaxed and healthy – and so glad I hadn’t given in and gone home.

In two weeks, on June 27, I’m checking off Massachusetts by running the Boston 13.1. If you’ll be in the Boston area, come run it with me! Or join the event’s 5K course instead. Whether you make it to Boston or not, don’t forget that a good run wherever you are is a rewarding and healthy way to balance the ups and downs of a busy daily schedule. But don’t take my word for it – hit the road and see for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment