Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Wisconsin....Check.

I just completed the first of 50 marathons I plan on running over the next decade or so. I suspect (and hope) this will be on the slow end of some of my future races due to some pretty warm temperatures. The clock was stopped early due to the heat, but we kept on running anyway, albeit slowly. No need to make myself sick over a lil' ole marathon, right?

It was my first time in Madison, which I had learned just prior to going that the city is an isthmus. In case some of you are unaware of exactly what that is, (I was), it is a narrow strip of land, bordered on both sides by water, connecting two larger bodies of land. My biggest question was, "Why, Madison, can't you give your two big, beautiful lakes different names?" Menona and Mendota? That's a good way to confuse out-of-towners.

Also, another first I experienced was drinking my first Spotted Cow beer. I sort of was forced to have one since Miri would have come all the way from New York to beat me if I didn't. It was just as delicious as she promised.

If any of you are considering running the Madison marathon at some point, I would give the course a glowing recommendation. First, the aid stations were plentiful, which was key considering the temperatures reached near 90 degrees during the race. There are some shady, scenic parts through the University of Wisconsin's Arboretum, and of course some lake side running. If you like rolling hills, Madison is the place for you. The capital square was the start and finish of the race, and just to give a little challenge at the end, the last few blocks to the finish take you up what I heard referred to as "Capital Hill", which was uphill on Washington street. But the great part is, there are so many people cheering you on there, you hardly notice. Well, okay, I noticed, but I didn't want to look like a wimp and walk, so I pushed through and ran uphill to the finish line.

If anything was worth running a marathon, I think it was to eat the beer-batted cheese curds from the Old Fashioned guilt-free. I think they might be the most delicious things on earth. And if you also like pickled things, which I do, the Old Fashioned has a large assortment of pickled food in stock. Who knew a pickled brussel sprout could be so delicious?

Ok, now the sappy part. Doing these races always reminds me of how strong people, myself included, can be. Finishing a marathon is just as much a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge. Due to some personal issues that have been going on in my life recently, I have not been as prepared mentally or physically as I would have liked. To be honest, I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish, because my body would only take me so far, and I didn't know whether my mind would take me the rest of the way. But I surprised myself. Regardless of what is going on with me personally, for one morning, four hours, forty-three minutes and twenty-six seconds, I was able to just run. And isnt' that what running is about?

5 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, Kristine! (And I am glad you enjoyed the Spotted Cow beer!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome.

    Love me some Spotted Cow and the Old Fashioned. That place is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah girl! And btw, Spotted Cow is my favorite beer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess next time I need to bring back a case of the old cow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristine....that's called....pushing through the pain. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete