Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Slowing Down


The reason I'm supporting Girls On The Run (GOTR) SoleMates throughout my quest with The Race Within US is because I'm a volunteer GOTR coach twice a week with 6th grade girls at a school in Harlem, in upper Manhattan. Each session, my fellow coaches and I engage the girls in a running-based game or activity meant to build their self-confidence, teamwork, and enjoyment of a healthy lifestyle. Recently, our lesson focused on slowing down and enjoying the experience of taking part in an outdoor activity - stopping to smell the roses, so to speak.

Despite teaching this lesson, I find it often difficult to follow, especially living in New York City. But on Saturday, I finally internalized that lesson and had a fantastic slower-than-usual run with 2 of my favorite run buddies, Monica and Betty. We're all busy professionals who sometimes struggle to slow up and enjoy the route. This time, none of us felt like racing. We wanted to enjoy each other's company, as well as the Central Park scenery.

It took us quite a bit longer than usual to run 6.2 miles, but it was the most fun and rejuvenating run I've had in a while. It was a fantastic reminder that slowing down sometimes is as important on the road as it is in life in general. I hope that you will all remember to slow down once in a while and really enjoy the things around you. I also hope you will take a moment to consider supporting GOTR SoleMates, either by making a donation using the link in the right column, or by volunteering with your local GOTR chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment