Friday, May 14, 2010

I am a Runner

While I was surfing the site “Running in the USA”, a great source for nationwide road races, I came across their list called “You Might Be A Runner If…”. We’ve all seen similar lists before – they circulate through email chains, Facebook, etc. “You Know You’re A Child of the 80s If…”, “You Know You’re Addicted to your Blackberry If…”

Of course, it’s fitting for there to be a list geared towards runners – we’re a unique bunch as far as athletes go. We can run alone or with a group; hit the road for hours or only minutes; we don’t need a field; we don’t need a specific uniform or any special gear (except for comfy sneakers, though barefoot running is gaining popularity); and we can literally take our runs on the road with us anywhere we go, in any city, in any state, in any country.

This past October, Kristine and I went to Italy on vacation. I was at a critical point in my training for the ING NYC Marathon and was hoping not to run alone through unfamiliar streets in the cities we were visiting. Kristine, of course, packed her sneakers so she could run, too. We emailed a Milanese running club and, without hesitation, they invited us to join them for their evening run. We were thrilled! Unfortunately, a flight delay caused us to miss that run – but we still saw how welcoming the running community is to new joiners. When runners I meet plan to visit NY, I always invite them to come out and run with me. I love to show others my favorite road and trail routes. I think that makes me a Runner.

Here are some of my favorites from Running in the USA’s “You Might Be A Runner If…” list. If you nod and laugh while reading these, you’re either a Runner or you know one very well – and that Runner is probably grateful for your understanding his/her unique commitment to his/her sport of choice.

Your day isn't complete until you've put your run in.
Your daily run is like therapy, or an anti-depressant.
You get upset about injuries because they keep you from running, not because you have actually damaged your body.
Your non-running friends consider every race you run a "marathon".
You consider getting a PR almost as great as winning the race.
You feel an instant kinship to any other runner you pass by on the street.
You get jealous of any runners you pass by while driving, wishing that you were running, too.
You are proud of and respect all runners of all abilities.
You've ever thought "I'm gonna be sore tomorrow" with a feeling of happy anticipation.
You know that runners come in all different shapes and sizes.
It doesn't scare you to drink from a cup that some stranger hands you in the middle of the road.
The high you feel after a race outweighs the anxiety you feel before it.
Your ipod has a "running" playlist
You have ever found rain during your run to be rather refreshing.
You have a list of all the races you plan to run for the next 12 months.
You're too lazy to take the garbage out on Friday but you get up at 5am to run a 10k race on Saturday.


What do you think makes you a Runner? Leave your comments and let us know!

1 comment:

  1. I am a runner because I agreed to run with my friend Miri on my "vacation" in Italy after I had just finished running a marathon a couple weeks before. : )

    ReplyDelete