Friday, May 21, 2010

The Beat is On

Isn't it amazing how the right song can motivate you to run an extra mile, or to kick through the finish line? Like most, I have a "Running" playlist filled with my favorite songs to keep me moving. Mine has just enough songs to last through my goal marathon time - if I haven't heard a repeat by the time I cross the finish line, I've achieved my goal.

As for songs, my playlist is stacked with upbeat songs ranging from classic motivators like "Eye of the Tiger" to reggae to cheesy pop and boy band songs that I would otherwise be embarrassed to admit listening to.

My Running playlist also includes a lot of foreign music. Somehow, my body responds to the beat of the music even though my brain has no clue what the lyrics mean. I stopped asking people to translate songs after I learned that my favorite song by Algerian singer Khaled was a bitter song about divorce - I had assumed it was a peppy, energetic love song! Now I enjoy keeping pace to the song tempos and not paying attention to the words, though I admit there are a few that make me want to sing out loud - and I sometimes do, so if you hear me singing on the road, feel free to join in!

What do you listen to when you run? Please share your favorites. I'm always looking for good suggestions and I am sure others are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment