Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tough as Manicured Nails

Yesterday, I ran the Fitness Mind, Body + Spirit Games 4-mile women's run in Central Park. The event featured a 4-mile men's race, 4-mile women's race and kids' races for kids of all ages. We had beautiful weather in NY yesterday - sunny, but not too hot - a perfect day for a road race!

Rocco DiSpirito kicked us off with a pep talk about the importance of fitting fitness into his, and our, daily routines. Until he spoke, I had no idea that he competes in triathlons! We also got to hear great words of motivation from my friend, Queens run buddy, and Fitness Editor-in-chief Betty Wong Ortiz: no matter what our fitness goals are, we should strive to achieve them fearlessly, but we should also never forget to have fun along the way. And she also reminded us that "sweat is sexy!" Oh yeah! We were all ready to work up a sexy sweat racing through the roads of Central Park!


Rocco and Betty, left, ready to welcome us across the finish line! (This photo and others from the event are available at New York Road Runners)

Taking advantage of the fantastic conditions in the park and the energy through the crowd of women around me (the men ran their race separately an hour before us), I had an awesome run - my fastest race in years. Finishing 4 miles in 31:34, I averaged 7:53 per mile. I could barely believe it when I saw the results, but I also knew I had run a fast run. How exciting!

My next race will be October 3 in Eisenhower Park, Long Island, NY. It's the Divas Half Marathon and 5K. I'm looking forward to tackling that course for a new personal best in the half marathon. Come cheer me on! Or, show off your inner Diva by running the half marathon or 5K, too! (The half marathon is open only to women; the 5K is co-ed.)

After the Divas Half Marathon, my next race will be my official New York event for Race Within US: the ING New York City Marathon.
Me, right, proudly showing off my first-time accomplishment at the finish line of the 2009 NYC Marathon. I can't wait to take on the course as a seasoned second-timer!

At this very moment, the Timex Countdown clock on the marathon website says we're just 55 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes and 51, 50, 49... seconds away from the start line! RUSer Mark is coming in town to run, too, as is my friend Heather, who chose NYC as her first ever long distance road race. Way to go, Heather! As a Girls on the Run SoleMates team member, you'll find me on the course in support of the programs of GOTR. I'll also have already kicked off the fall season of GOTR coaching by then, so I hope to show the girls I'll be coaching that it is possible to achieve a significant fitness goal with some dedication, training and enthusiasm. The support you've all given me while I strive to reach my goals is truly appreciated! And if you would like to support GOTR's work, they would so appreciate the assistance as well!

1 comment:

  1. This is super cool! I think you should add ING Miami to this list! I will be going halfsies there :)

    ReplyDelete