Sunday, July 11, 2010

Nurture Your Inner Runner

The Red Dress Run for Women in Hartford, Connecticut, which supported the Go Red foundation’s initiative of empowering women to understand how to improve and maintain their heart health, was a big success! I participated with four fabulous – and fabulously determined – women. Running has had a place in each of our lives for varying lengths of time – from my 18 year history on the road and track to some who just started out recently. But we all were equally excited to share 3.1 miles of roads with 1,100 women in support of a worthy cause. The weather was hot and very humid, which makes running a road race challenging and somewhat uncomfortable. On the other hand, we were lucky that the rain held out because it POURED about an hour after we finished running – at just about the time that we were swallowing the first bites of well-deserved pancakes (yum!).

I have to give a shout out to the fact that Marisa, Jen, Melanie and Leah all ran personal bests. This was a first 5K for most of them and they did great! Leah, five months pregnant, even earned her baby-to-be a nice PB, too. And, already enthusiastically planning her next 5K, Melanie is showing her four-month-old baby Tyler, who came to cheer on mommy, how much fun it is being active, especially when you go out running, jogging or walking with a supportive group of friends.

I’ve said before that running is an activity that makes me feel great physically, mentally and emotionally. I loved this sign (pictured, right) that was posted at the park where the Red Dress Run took place. It is true that running is like a friend. Just like I know my friends will always be there for me in times of need (or whenever, really), I know I can always lace up my sneakers and hit the road wherever I am and whenever I need time for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment