Saturday, May 7, 2011

Exciting updates!

Since moving from NY to Minneapolis, I've had a rocky relationship with running. First, I missed a lot of training runs during the weeks that I was packing up my apartment in NY. Then I missed a lot of training runs while I was unpacking in Minneapolis. Sub-zero temperatures in the Twin Cities kept me off the roads during the harshest of winter months. Finally, the weather has thawed, and, being more settled into my new surroundingns, I have gotten back to a (sort of) regular running schedule. During the last few weeks, the inconsistency of my training has frustrated me nearly to the point of feeling unsure of my RUS goals.

Thankfully, Kristine's run last week at the Cincinnati Flying Pigs Marathon helped me get my enthusiasm and confidence back. For one thing, I'm always in awe of Kristine's seemingly limitless energy and ability to run marathons so frequently. How does she do it!? For me, the marathon is, at best, an annual goal that I work hard to be ready for in the Fall, knowing that I'll earn the right to be a little bit lazier during the cold winter. Her dedication to the marathon distance is inspiring!

In addition to Kristine, another Cincinnati Flying Pigs Marathon runner has jumpstarted my excitment about our upcoming RUS events - Women's 1st Place Winner Amy McDonaugh. Amy is a legally-blind mother of three. As a stay-at-home mom, she felt she needed to "get out of the house" and do something. So she took up running. And WON the 4th marathon she had ever run. If that doesn't make you feel like you can achieve any goal you set for yourself, I don't know what does.

So what's the exciting news? Kristine and I will be seen in Fitness Magazine's June issue! As part of a feature about sharing fitness goals with a friend, significant other or relative, Kristine and I spoke to the magazine about our goal of running in all 50 states for our favorite charities. Back in March, we got together in Chicago for a photo shoot to accompany the article (the three photos here are from the photo shoot). Though it was a frigid March day, we dressed for June. We shivered as we ran through the local parks smiling for the camera. Thankfully, our photog Todd kept us laughing throughout the day. You can see more of his work on his website. Thanks Todd!

We hope that you will all pick up a copy of the Fitness issue, out on newsstands next week, and read more about how Kristine and I work together to reach our running goals! And if you'd like to support our charities in our honor, we would truly be grateful. Our charities are visible on the top right side of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment