Friday, January 7, 2011

Old Man Winter....


Oh how I hate thee...let me count the ways. I've had my fill of long winter runs. But in theory, don't they sound nice? A quiet run, with snow softly falling, and that winter silence except for the sound of your feet crunching on the snow and ice. In reality, it's windy, slippery, and that falling snow eventually soaks you to the bone. The winter weather has deterred me from only one long weekend run so far, which was last weekend when the "feels like" temperature was 2 degrees. Sorry, I just can't do that. But I've been pretty impressed with myself that I've actually been out there in snow, several inches deep, trying to stay in training mode for my next couple of races. Of course, I do not train and suffer in silence. I complain about it every chance I get! Like now, for example.
So tomorrow, I hope to take on my last long winter run before the Rock-n-Roll Marathon in Phoenix, AZ next Sunday. And boy am I excited to run in the sun...a high of 71 race day! I'm going to be that crazy person in Arizona who's sitting by the pool, while the locals are wearing sweaters and wool coats. I can't wait! (If you want to track me, sign up at www.competitorwireless.com for text messages updates.)
But after that, it's back to running in the snow since I have to keep up the ole' endurance for my next race in New Orleans on Feb. 13th. Summer can't come soon enough. Of course then, I'll complain about how hot it is. ; )
To remind you all why I'm doing this, it's to raise awareness for some great charities, Don't Bully My Breed and Hospitals for Humanity. DBMB is in need of donations to help shelter those dogs that have been rescued from the cold. And HFH has a full year of medical missions to help those around the world that don't get the most basic medical care. Please join the Don't Bully My Breed page on facebook to keep up to date on what great things they are doing for our four-legged friends, and check out the RUS page on www.hospitalsforhumanity.org.
Thanks and Happy 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment