Monday, August 16, 2010

Of Bears, Beer and Cheese... and Running of Course!

I just spent the weekend in Vernon, New Jersey with some old girl friends that I grew up with. Since we were staying at a mountain resort that had several miles of low-trafficked roads, as well as peaceful trails, I was excited to pack my running gear and explore the wooded property. On Saturday, late afternoon, I laced up my sneakers, turned on my iPod Shuffle, and headed out. After about a half mile, I stopped dead in my tracks.... A big, black grizzly bear was standing in front of me across the street! My instinct was to run but I've heard somewhere that you shouldn't try to outrun a bear, even if you're a decently-fast distance runner like me. So I waited in place until a car passed by and scared it back into the woods.

The bear I saw didn't look at innocently competitive as this road running bear, right.

I was reminded of the start of the Poconos Wurst 5K. For some reason, the announcement that there had been a bear on that course earlier in the morning didn't phase me. Coming face-to-face with a bear armed only with a tiny music player this weekend made me realize that trail running perhaps requires a little more preparation and understanding of your environment. Anyone have tips about their favorite running accessory, especially for trail running?

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that this weekend is the Madison Mini Marathon. I'll be in good ol' Wisconsin from Friday to Monday. If you're a midwesterner, it's not too late to join the half marathon or the 5K event - or just come and cheer and then enjoy the post-race party! There will be beer and cheese and other Wisconsin culinary specialties, as well as local bands providing entertainment. And, I'll be there with my cousin Christina and the Girls on the Run of Dane County. We'd love your support as a cheering spectator, a GOTR volunteer with your local chapter, or with a donation though this link or through your local GOTR chapter's fundraising page.

Of course, while I love sharing my experiences running around the country in support of meaningful charities that are near to my heart, I also want to encourage all of you to actively engage within your community. Whether you go out for a road run and discover a new place in town, or you volunteer to help a local non-profit for a day, do something active - it will make you feel great! We'd love to hear from you if you have a project or charity or even a great local road run you'd like to tell us about!

No comments:

Post a Comment