Saturday, May 27, 2023

#42: Island Time in Martha's Vineyard

I decided to start of my first race of 2023 in Massachusetts. Or of the coast of MA, on Martha's Vineyard. You might be thinking, wait, you're not going to run Boston as your MA race? While that would be amazing (and was my secret hope to save Boston for last since it's always right around my birthday, so how cool what that be to run that as I turn 50?), I've got to be honest, I'll never qualify for Boston. I'm getting slower and slower with each year, and my fastest marathon would have qualified me if I was 50 (I ran that time in my 30s). So Martha's Vineyard seemed like a good compromise. Plus, as an avid Jaws fan, I was looking forward to some kitschy shark-themed things. 

It is a bit of a pain to get there from anywhere other than the New England area, since you have to take a plane, car and a ferry. But I did have a crew of friends with me this trip, which made it more bearable. My twin sis, Krystal, frequent race-cation friend, Bethany and my boss/friend Pete. We took the ferry over the morning before the race, and this picture makes it look like it was a lot warmer than it was. Personally, coming from SWFL where it is constantly hot and humid, the temps felt amazing and bode well for race day. 

We stayed in Oaks Bluff and after hitting the expo, we hit up a local brewery, Offshore Ale Company. The AirBnB we stayed at had an empty growler that we took to fill up, which was so smart and the best deal of anything on the island. Everything was a bit pricey because it all has to come over on the ferry. Which actually doesn't explain why the seafood was also expensive, because there are tons of fishing docks there.... I digress. If you like beer and wood fired pizza, check this place out. Also a solid lobster roll.  We followed up lunch by a little shopping around the island. Also, this island is way bigger than I expected it to be. 

We didn't make plans for dinner the night before the race, which in hindsight was poor planning, but we did partake in some pre-race oysters. When in the northeast, seems silly not to, right? (We did also have some the night before in Boston.) 

The race day forecast called for rain, but starting off it was nicely overcast, cool and dry. Krystal and Bethany decided to team up for a half-marathon relay, while over-achiever Pete joined me in the full marathon. The course had a few out and back parts to it, but the first half ran through a scenic state park on the island. The organization could have been better, since we were promised energy gels, but none were left when we got to that aid station. We also heard along the way that one of the shuttle buses to the start was 20 minutes late. We heard this from a 20-something kid who was on that late bus, starting 20 mins after us, but then ran past us (humility check). 

Relay finishers
Jaws is back there somewhere
The last part of the course, it did start to rain and there was a strong wind...fortunately it was behind us. If we had been running into it, I would have probably just walked it in. We stopped for a selfie as we ran over the "Jaws bridge."  I honestly don't remember this part of the movie, but my sister looked it up to confirm. 

Medal that didn't have a shark
Coastline course
I was struggling at the end quite a bit. I had been sick with what I thought was a cold the week before, and then found out after the race, from my husband who caught this from me, that he had COVID. Which likely means, I also had COVID. So all things considered, my time wasn't too bad.  Bethany actually rented a bike to come find us on the course and even braved the rain to cheer us on for 10 seconds. Her smiling face appeared in the last few miles, and it's funny how much seeing a friendly face and hearing some words of encouragement can make a difference and get you to the finish.           

It was pretty rainy the rest of the day so we lounged around our rental house eating popcorn, left over pizza and drinking beer from our growler. Also over the course of the weekend, we watched the entire Godfather trilogy. The second one is the best, third is the worst. Discuss amongst yourselves. 

Dinner was in Edgartown (yep, where the Kennedy's stay) at a place called Detente. Great little wine and spirits shop right next to that place as well which had the best selection of any other place we checked out on the island.  

The remnants
Fish market vibes
We didn't have oysters race-day, which I know is out of the norm. We saved up for them at the Menemsha fish market, where we had a seafood extravaganza of oysters, lobster bisque, lobster roll, and clam chowder. All amazing. 

We spent the day after the race driving around the island. The weather was beautiful: sunny and cool. We visited the Aquinnah Cliffs and the Gay Head Lighthouse which have a pretty cool story of folklore attached to them. Apparently a giant named Moshup would grab whales from the ocean and slap them against the side of the cliff to kill them, and the whales' blood is what gives the cliffs their red color. Or it's the clay. 
Aquinnah Cliffs
Gay Head Lighthouse















We found another cool brewery back near Edgardtown, called Bad Martha's. This place is nestled right inside of a nursery (plants, not babies). Great to sit outside, have some great beer and an ridiculously large cheese plate. We had a few beers, a lot of cheese and played some cornhole or bags, depending on where you're from.

Overall, it was a fun weekend, and sometimes it is actually fun to have someone to suffer through a marathon with. I run so many alone, so I forget this. I'm glad this race gave me the opportunity to visit a place I probably would never go to, which really is one of the coolest things about taking on this challenge of running a marathon in every state. I'd be surprised if I return to Martha's Vineyard. It's beautiful, don't get me wrong, but so hard to get to if you don't live in that part of the country. We took every form of transportation except a train to get there and back. But if you live up there, go for it! Another state checked off, and only 8 states left and 4 years to get all 50 by 50! Too far along to stop now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment