Thursday, November 28, 2013

Making History with the Historic Route 66 Marathon!

This may not be the kind of history that will make history books one day, but a historical one for me in that it was technically my first (and probably last) ultra marathon!  The Tulsa Route 66 Marathon gave runners the option to take a detour which adds 0.3 miles to the race making it a total of 26.5 miles.  The detour takes you through Tulsa's Center of the Universe landmark.  A quick explanation for this landmark:  Apparently if you stand in the center of this circle and yell you can hear your voice echo but no one outside of the circle can hear the echo.  I'm not sure if this actually works as I didn't hear any echo, but maybe I didn't yell loud enough.  It was a tough decision to take this detour as it's placed between miles 25 and 26 of the race (a bit cruel if you ask me).  But despite the fact that I couldn't feel my fingers (temperatures were in the 20s) I opted to take the detour, and I was rewarded with this fancy coin!

 I certainly didn't expect for Tulsa to have so many rolling hills, but it did.  I was wondering when it would actually become flat, and it never seemed like it did.  But I have to say that the people of Tulsa were incredibly friendly and supportive.  As I mentioned, it was freeeeeezing, and many people had little fire pits set up in their driveways.  Probably more to keep them warm while cheering the runners on, and I have to give them credit for being out there, but they were more than happy to let you warm your hands and buns at the fire for a few moments.  One group even offered me a bloody mary!  Businesses were also letting runners hop in to warm up for a quick minute.  I don't know much about Tulsa, but there is certainly an affluent area that we ran through.  I've never seen so many women in fur coats cheering runners on.  And holy moly the mega churches!
Mega Methodist Church
Mega Presbyterian Church

I had a chance to walk around downtown Tulsa the day before when I walked to the Tulsa Convention Center to pick up my race packet.  Actually one of the least frustrating Expos I've been too, so good job Route 66 Marathon!  Tulsa has some interesting architecture.  Lots of art deco looking buildings. And like I said, lots of churches. Big, fancy ones. 





Tulsa also had some interesting buildings, bridges, fountains.  Although it was cold and windy as I walked around and eventually I couldn't feel my legs, I enjoyed the couple of hours I spent milling around downtown Tulsa.  And unexpectedly, Tulsa also had some pretty good restaurants downtown.  I stayed at the Fairfield Inn, and if you plan on running this race, it's location is perfect.  Easy walk to the start and REALLY close to the finish line, which is very important.  By the way, they had hot spaghetti at the finish line, which actually seemed appetizing, compared to the plain hard bagels and bananas most races have.  Of course, I was freezing and anything hot might have been appealing, but another "well done!" to the Route 66 Marathon.  
Oh, right, I was going to tell you about some restaurants. I highly recommend The Tavern, which was pretty much across the street from the Fairfield Inn.  Very cool place, sort of a gastropub.  I actually had lunch there on Saturday AND dinner there on Sunday.  Grilled cheese (which included turkey and a pepper spread) and tomato bisque for lunch and for dinner; a delicious kale salad with beets, brussels sprouts, apple and pumpkin. Pretty fancy, huh? I would not expect to find such interesting and delicious food in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but lo and behold, there was.  Oh, and I would also suggest the Rusty Crane for some good, but slightly atypical bar food.
It is is always hard to roll out of bed when it's 20 degrees out and decide to run 26.2 miles (or 26.5 in this case).  But there was a quote that I had seen posted on the Route 66 Marathon's facebook page the day before that stood out to me.  It said, "Never take the finish line for granted.  We are the lucky ones."  I try to remember this every time I run a marathon, how lucky I am for being able to get out there and have that experience.  And as it's Thanksgiving today, it seems appropriate to recognize I have a lot to be thankful for.  I'm thankful that I have good health so I can run all of these races.  I'm thankful that I have so many friends and family that are supportive of me in everything I do.  And I'm thankful for having the opportunity to share my experiences with all of you who are so kind to read about them.  A safe and happy holiday season to all of you and thank you for all your support through 2013 and through 17 states!  I wonder which states 2014 will take me to?  

No comments:

Post a Comment